This is my mom's recipe. It must be one of the easiest Polish recipes to make. Nalesniki (Polish for crepes) are a very common breakfast food in Poland. It is especially popular with kids, because of the variety of toppings that can be used. When my kids visit their babcia (Polish for grandma), the first thing they ask for is nalesniki. 30 years ago, we only ate nalesniki for breakfast, usually with jelly. Nowadays you can order nalesniki in Poland for lunch or dinner, filled with mushrooms, cheese, veggies or meat as a main dish or sweet fillings for dessert.
|Presented on a 10¾" dinner plate S613A in pattern P2111A
Nalesniki are very easy to make. The preparation time is less than 5 minutes and each nalesnik is ready in about 30 seconds. This recipe makes 18 nalesniki. I hope you try this recipe at home. Smacznego!
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine and mix milk and eggs.
- Add flour and salt and mix until batter is smooth and there are no lumps. The batter should be runny. If it is not, add a little bit of milk.
- Over, medium-high heat, warm up a medium size frying pan (we use non-stick), and brush it lightly with vegetable oil or butter.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into the frying pan and quickly distribute it over the surface of the pan. You can do this by tilting the pan back & forth until you have a large pancake with no gaps.
- As soon as the batter cooks and becomes firm, brush it lightly with oil or butter (optional) and turn over.
- Wait 5-10 seconds and remove it from the frying pan.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until all the batter has been used.
- Spread each nalesnik with your favorite filling, and roll or fold into triangles. Place on your favorite piece of Polish pottery, garnish and serve with pride!
Fillings and Garnishes
Fillings: sour cream, jelly, cherry or apple pie filling, fresh fruit, Nutella, whipped cream Garnish: Fruit, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, whipped cream
Fillings: sauted mushrooms, Swiss cheese, zucchini, spinach, beef tips with gravy Garnish: sprigs of parsley, sliced tomato